INCLUSION IN A WORKPLACE | DISABILITIES | EQUALITY | MY EXPERIENCE | HELP GUIDE | WHY HIRE A DISABLED PERSON?




Leaving College at the age 22 with two GSCES and some other qualifications, but in very little self doubt that I would not be employed because in the back of my mind, I always thought ''Who would want to hire a disabled person?''

I spent three years jobless basically just doing courses after courses, so that I could improve my CV. Until I was called up for an interview for a job which they said it would be suitable for me seeing I have done Administration studies and ICT in College.  I am currently working as a trainee administrator in the  Education Department and my position is dealing with the schools maintenance.  Like for example, if one of the schools door breaks, it is my job to create an works order to send it to the company that is responsible of fixing doors and I also deal with the incoming and outgoing mails.  I do a bit of everything despite having a physical disability I still do everything expect answering the phone, as I prefer e-mails more.  I think most people have a struggle answering the phone even if they do not have a speech impediment, it is something that is hard to conquer!

Working has really helped me boost up my confidence,  I went through a lot of self doubt but working has made me full on confident and gave me a lot of independence more than ever before.  I started to realise that I am working the same job as any other able bodied person around but obviously with limits but that is okay because at least I am working, meeting new people and learning new people and of course, getting paid in the end of the month.  I am extremely happy to be part of something,  I feel so included within the office and I work with people who see me as Manar, not as that person with a disability and that really makes me happy.

There are plenty of reasons why I think  employees should hire people with disabilities:

  • Valuable skills - Employers may be learning about our capabilities, disabled people are not a tiny minatory category. We are relate into this society,  in every industry, in every country and education level. People with disabilities often just can't exist in the world. We have to examine how we are existing, and how we can better navigate a world that isn't really for us. And, that is when accommodation comes:  Methods, tools, and other ways which can help accomplish goals.. Whether it is waitressing or working in administration. 
  • Improve morals and culture - Hiring people with disabilities, you are adding motivated people to the workforce and promoting an inclusive culture.
  • Its easier than you think - Employees with disabilities enjoy working and are happy to work on creative solutions with you regarding reasonable accommodations and restricting job hours. 

In the number of years went by, Gibraltar has really improved when it came to hiring people with disabilities. We have people working in different work fields whether its gardening, security, administrator, chiefs and many more!  It is happening here, just like USA and UK. Our Government has created this scheme called ''Sheltered Employment'' which offers jobs to anyone with disability whether it is visible or invisible. Although there some negative points about this because I feel like not everyone that is disabled should be under there or treated the same.  As you know, not all disabilities are the same, some of us are more capable than others and are willing to work just like everyone else. I know, it is there to help us and to make sure we feel safe,  I am not against it but there are people like myself, who has spent years and years in College trying to get qualifications to put on our CVS but yet we still get treated like those who never went to school .I am happy to have a job, don't get me wrong but I want to a build a successful future and with the hours I work and little money I get, I see myself depending on my parents more. Isn't a job a supposed to give us a full on independent? Some might be happy with how things but there some people like myself, who want a future like get their own homes, travel, start their own family etc.  I remember going to a meeting and telling someone that there should be more abilities than disabilities,  like instead of focusing on things we can't do, let's focus on the things we can do! Like for example, as mentioned above, I can't answer the phone but I am a wizard in typing which means a job from 9-4 with a computer will be suitable for me. Or if someone is good with something and can't do something else for whatever reason is, give them a full time job in something which they can do.  Look even able bodied people can't do anything, some of my friends can't answer the phone due to social anxiety but they work a full hour job. I know, the scheme is there to take care of vulnerable young adults within the workforce and that is truly amazing, however you can still do that! Just see who can and who can't, not everyone can work full hours, I know and I empathize but we need to just remember that not all disabilities are the same.



For those of you who are starting jobs this year but you are going through self doubt.  I encourage you to be yourself in all times. Although if you face some discrimination or criticism, please stand up for yourselves or tell your boss.  Work from the heart, always try to deliver the work you do in the best way you can.  Be open! Be open to those who work with you about your disabilities, so like that they can know where they can help you or where they can't.. I hope you work with a lovely bunch of people just like I do!

 



As you can see from the photos, my office includes me in outside office activities too.  Inclusion outside and inside the office, that is why I love my job and people who work me!


Be sure to follow me on my socials for upcoming blogs and many more.





Comments

Popular Posts