About Myself | What You Need To Know | Education Story | Moving To Gibraltar

 

I feel like that no one knows me, no one knows my background. They only know the Manar I want them to know, but mind you, I do write about my struggles so you do know that part of me.


Image may contain: Manar Ben Tahayekt, selfie and closeup 


I was born in the Nothern side of Morocco, a small city called Chefchaouen in October 1993. My birth was a struggle because the health professionals in Morocco were not professional when it came to disabilities.  My mum describes her birth to me as ''HELL'' but once I came out, she then described it as ''MAGICALLY'' especially when they told her that abortion was her only way to save her but she chose me because she knew I would bring so much into her life.  My mum had an option to get rid of me but she believed in me way before I was even bought into this world.

Even though my birth was a total disaster to my family especially my mum, I am super grateful to be here and I owe it all to my mum for standing up for something she felt so passionate about and that just shows how strong my mum is, she didn't let anyone mess up what she thought was going to be the best thing in her life.

I have lived in Chaouen since the age of two until my dad decided that it would be better if my brother, mum and I lived with him in Gibraltar.  When we moved to Gibraltar, it was not the life which we expected it to be although I semi-improved when it came to my physical side because I did intense physiography along with speech therapy and occupational therapy, moving here was the best decision when it came to that but I was discriminated when it came to going to school here as I wasn't a citizen. After finishing the nursery,  I could not go move to primary school because I did not have the right documents to register for schools in Gibraltar and at a young age,  I did not understand what was going on but looking at it now, it was discrimination because everyone deserves an education no matter what their stories are.  My dad had to put my brother in a private school because he also had the same issue as me but thankfully he was lucky enough to start school when he meant to start like his peers.  I could not attend this school because the time, I had to be in a Special Needs class and at the time, it didn't have one.  I was homeschooled until the age of 12,  I remember having various teachers for different subject coming to my house.  I was always a bright kid, well that what I have been told. 

I still remember my first time walking into Bishop Fitzgerald,  I broke my arm so I had to wear a cast on my first day.  I still remember going into the classroom filled with pupils, my first lesson was Georgphy and I had to learn everything from scratch but as I was homeschooled I knew some of the things that teacher was saying, so I was not completely lost.

Although going to school was difficult for me, there were a lot of bullies but I am not going to sit here and say what they did to me etc because this blog is not about that and I am no longer holding a grudge. My teachers were amazing to me, they always believed in me which made me love learning more. I have always enjoyed school but obviously going through what I faced, made me hate school because I have always asked myself ''Why aren't I like the other kids?'' So although the school wasn't as great as I expected I still managed to enjoy myself. For example,  I went to a London trip which was brilliant because it was my first time flying on a plane and being away from my parents. 

I guess what I am trying to say is, although I have started school late I clearly have come a long way! When I was in Westside I managed to pass all of my exams and that was the highlight of my secondary school experience even when things got hard personally I never gave up nor back down.  The doubts made me work hard and I end up with one GSCES and other OCR qualifications. After I finished secondary school, I have decided to further my education, so I started going to College. I spent 3 years studying and making sure I passed all my exams but unfortunately, I failed Maths and couldn't continue to A-levels.  I had the correct qualifications for starting a job so I went for it, although it is not my dream I have always wanted to try being an administrator especially because I studied Administration in College.  

Whilst I was working, I still wanted to do something to further my education.  Therefore I went to private lessons for ICT which I passed because I have always loved computers and technology as a whole. I have always known that I wanted to do more in my life rather than just being an admin, don't get me wrong my job is decent but it is not something I will enjoy in the long run. I just carried on being a part-time student to gain more qualifications because I always believed I could get far in life. 

There were moments which I wanted to give up, but I never physically wanted to do so.  I just carried on working hard in order to be where I need to be.  This just shows that people who are in SEN can do it, you just need to push them,

The fact I am now working towards BA Hons in Arts and Humanities is just crazy! Because whoever thought that little old me would be doing a degree?/  No one, not even myself.  I believe that hard work and determination pays off! It is all about work harder than your limits!  You can do it,  you get discriminated but you never give in, you just go for it.  Education has no timeline, you will make it and the funny thing is, life generally has no time! This is not a race! 




Be sure to follow me on my socials

https://www.facebook.com/WobblyBlogger/

https://www.instagram.com/wobblyblogger_93/


Comments

Popular Posts