Cerebral Palsy Is More Than Just A Physical Disability | Cerebral Awareness Month |

I believe that,  there is a lot of confusion when it comes to knowing about Cerebral Palsy, it is known to be a physical disability but there is more to it which you don’t know about. There is more than just people worrying if you fall and break a bone (which is funny, because we do not have plastic bones) but no one seems to worry about us when we tell them that we are emotionally falling apart, they might think, it is like everyone else who have a bad week then you’ll be better the next day, but oh boy, you are wrong. When I have my bad days or even weeks, I become more slower than I’m usually, my hands are all over the place and I am constantly in pain which is terrible because it means I can’t do the things I do in my normal days, sometimes even my speech becomes hard to understand. I sometimes can understand myself when no one can but during these moments I even find it hard to understand myself.
I know, everyone who has mental health has it hard but imagine overcoming your limitations and waking up, one morning and you can’t even pull up your socks when you know you can or being able to do your buttons after practicing for years but suddenly your hands stop working because your entire mind is blocked. People who go through mental health and live with a disabilities do have it hard because people tend to focus on what they can see but not what they can’t see and that can be so frustrating especially if you can’t express yourself in words, it makes it 10 times harder because remember some people with CP have a mild, severe speech impediment and there are some who can’t speak at all. So imagine someone who can’t speak at all trying to tell someone about their mental health but no one notices because they are too focused on their visible disability, frustrating right?
There are times where I personally have small anxiety attacks but nobody takes me seriously not even the people that are supposed too, however, if I fall, everyone will run rushing towards me saying ”Let’s call the ambulance!” ”Check if her legs are still moving!” I never had someone personally asking me about my mental health, very rare but yet everyone seems to ask me about my physical health which sometimes can get annoying because personally physically I feel fine despite the pains I get especially when I have anxiety but emotionally I am not okay.
I am not okay, because I sometimes feel that I am an outcast in this society we live in because nothing is being taken seriously when it comes to someone who is living in the same position as me, I am not okay, because I always try my hardest at everything but it never seems enough, I am not okay, because people pity me instead of wanting understand me or my situation,
So instead of throwing me a pity party which I never asked for, please try and understand that people that live with Cerebral Palsy do have it hard because they are handling two things which are very challenging. A physical disability is challenging and a mental one is challenging too, mixing them together is equal to HELL!
If you see someone that can handle their daily activities one day without having a problem but one day, they are having a problem. Ask them why, try to understand that they are handling more than just a physical disability.

Image result for its ok not to be ok

Comments

Popular Posts